Yesterday (Dec 3rd, 2016), I’ve a day trip to Kempas, Johor to attend to a monthly event by JomWeb Johor, listening to a talk on Continuous Integration by Kamal Mustafa.
Here the summary from the talk and definitely I need a look into test the application cycle before release it – which usually I don’t. ^_^
Development without Continuous Integration:
- Hard to track down the bugs
- Infrequent Commits
- Difficult Integration
- Infrequent Release
- Testing Happens Late
CI Tools / Software
Travis is an online service to provide the CI process while Jenkins is desktop application.
While Gitlab and BitBucket, both are Git Platform but providing a tool named Pipelines which enabled developers to do the CI process.
Notes on Test
- End-to-end testing
- Transaction, Non-transaction
- Unit Test – doesn’t mean require a database for testing
- Always drop the test database after testing
- Alway automate the test
- Code Linting
- Deployment test can be on local, staging or production.